Monday, March 23, 2020

Book Review: The Lost Girls of Paris

If my book club hadn't selected this title for the February meeting, I might have put it off further. I saw my sister carrying the book, its cover compelling me. When I discovered our library had the audio version, I leapt at the chance to listen (hoping to finish in time for the February meeting, but falling short - no worries though since they cancelled that meeting because of poor expected attendance). I had begun another audio book prior to my trip to Florida, but switched to this new title.

Pam Jenoff did a good job of presenting yet. another. war. story. The Lost Girls of Paris is based on actual activities of female radio operators sent to France. The role of women in wartime is always interesting and worth considering, so I listened with rapt attention. Still, I ended the book feeling average interest. While the hook - a woman finding a suitcase full of photographs of the female entourage - enticed, the story lacked something. The romantic plot-lines felt hollow. The details failed to convince. I would give the book three stars.

Here is a brief trailer from the author:


No comments: