Sunday, December 20, 2020

Book Review: A Heart in a Body in the World

I first encountered Deb Caletti while researching comparable titles for a YA novel I wrote. My novel highlighted a girl who battles panic attacks and social anxiety, so I picked up Caletti's book, The Nature of Jade. She captured the essence of a growing problem for young women and wove it with truths about life. Next, I found a copy of Honey, Baby, Sweetheart. I read it while on my European excursion. As soon as I learned of A Heart in a Body in the World, I added it to my ever-growing list. I've never been able to run, but loved Wendelin Van Draanen's book about a runner, The Running Dream. Far easier to read about runners than to join them on the road. 

This book, A Heart in a Body in the World, ended up being a YA version of Harold Fry's journey (a favorite of mine, The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, by Rachel Joyce). Both Harold and Annabelle set out with no intention and end up with a quest and a following. Both are running to something and from something. The benefit of Annabelle's trek is that it occurs on my own soil and crosses my own paths. It was thrilling to read the section of her run through Illinois, since I hold fond memories of many of the mentioned places. Apart from identifying with locations, I also identified with the emotions in this book. Trauma ripples into every aspect of life and often steals our ability to respond rationally to similar scenarios, robbing a person twice, first with the initial offence and then of opportunities for normalcy. Annabelle knows that not all boys are evil, but her experience with one casts a long shadow on all further experiences.

Interspersed in the magnificent storytelling (forgot there was an author - the mark of a truly talented author), Annabelle shares facts about hearts. Each list of tangible facts ends with a truth about hearts illustrated in the story. Amazingly, broken hearts mend. As Annabelle runs, she regains her footing and becomes a symbol for the healing a nation needs after tragedy. This is a powerful and timely tale, full of grace and truth.

No comments: