Thursday, December 3, 2020

Book Review: The End of Alzheimer's Program

I’m experiencing a renewed interest in battling the potential enemy of dementia. Hard to fight an enemy if you’re not sure it truly exists yet, but I can certainly take steps to fortify and protect my personal home, my body. Dr. Dale Bredesen’s End of Alzheimer’s book was on mylist of top reads last year. Reading the book mobilized me to begin the protocol. I followed a make-shift regimen, based on what I had read, from March or April of last year until Christmas. In January, I attempted to go back on the plan. Alas, my father broke his arm, and I went to Florida to provide care. It seemed too difficult to maintain while in someone else’s house. Then, with the initial lockdown, I lost sight of the goal. I gained back the lost pounds and resumed some memory issues.

Bredesen’s plan works. I will say that at the outset. When I follow the plan, I notice a marked change in my well-being. While it requires devotion, he never says you have to follow his protocol 100 percent. You can make your own attempt and do what works for you. So just what is this plan? He calls it a KetoFLEX 12/3 diet. But it is so much more than a diet. It is a lifestyle shift. The plan involves 12 hour fasting (16 hours recommended for those with the Alzheimer’s gene) and recommends finishing your evening meal at least 3 hours before bedtime. Although it is ketogenic, it provides room for flexibility. Bredesen encourages readers to identify what triggers and risk factors they face so they know what to emphasize. The disease stems from a myriad of factors (diet, toxins, dental habits, inflammation, infection, etc.). Thus, the battle plans vary.

Here are some of his suggestions I’d like to attack while going back on the lower carb/plant-based diet. I’ve already resumed the fasting periods. I am attempting to break my fast in the morning with a cup of black coffee containing a small spoonful of coconut oil. This is a real challenge. I hate black coffee (crave my Coffee Mate hazelnut creamer – groan) and hate coconut. Thankfully, the oil is tasteless, just leaves an oily shimmer on the coffee. I now take milk thistle. I’m trying to focus on things I like: spinach, broccoli, pistachios, eggs, strawberries and blueberries, beets (yep, I like ‘em), avocados, and Brussel sprouts.

Although I would love to take the cognitive tests, I am still loathe to enter a doctor’s office. Besides, I'm unsure how I would respond if I learned I carry the Alzheimer’s gene. It would be great to purchase a pulse oximeter and rule out sleep apnea (I’m certain my oxygen levels are declining during sleep). If I knew how to go about it, or even if it would be valuable, I would look into having our home tested for toxins. I believe that the mold in my parent’s home led to some of my mother’s dementia. Purchasing a HEPA filter is another goal.

Don’t feel overwhelmed. You can attack as much or as little as you like and track your improvements over the weeks and months. This book is easy to digest (although the original End of Alzheimer’s book was easier). The only thing I would have liked to have seen in this book would have been a meal plan guide (but there was a small version in the original book and I purchased that, so I could review it). All in all, I’m a big believer in Dr. Bredesen and this plan. I think he is onto something. Anyone experiencing cognitive decline would do well to give it a whirl. There’s nothing to lose (well, weight) and much to gain.

No comments: