Monday, December 14, 2020

Missing Avenues for My Alto

The holidays bring so many memories associated with my alto horn. When I was in high school, my dad and I (on our cornet and alto) would venture out bright and early into the tube station tunnels in Chicago. We would set up the kettle and play duets for the crushing crowd of commuters until I had to leave for school. Several years back, a friend of mine passed along this photo of my dad playing at a kettle (I'm fairly certain that is the edge of my horn next to him) - she found it on eBay while searching for old Salvation Army images, so it has a watermark from some historical images company. Still, it brings back those morning jam sessions like it was yesterday.


I also remember playing through the Salvation Army carol book with my brothers so frequently that we had all the numbers memorized. In my senior year, when my parents were moved to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, I had to wrap my alto in a coat of foam to keep it from freezing as I stood out at the Army kettles. One night, a film crew from the local news station came by and I heard about it the next day from other students who watched (from the warm comfort of their homes - ha).

Since my husband has a masters in trumpet performance from Indiana University, he got in on the game after we married. My friends, Kris and MaryAnn Wood, were the officers at the DeKalb Salvation Army corps for a while. They invited John and I to join forces for their kettle effort. I remember one year, Kris promised to play his trombone from the roof of the corps if they made their goal for that year. I don't believe we joined him on the roof, but he kept his promise.

When we moved to the Indianapolis area, I anticipated the thrill of playing with an Army band again. I assumed there would be a corps band as vibrant as when my teen and college friends were in Indianapolis. Alas, no band. Still, I would play when they invited and after I purchased an alto on Craigslist, I often played for Christmas kettles at the Divisional Headquarters near the Children's Museum. They have since moved buildings and I don't receive invitations any longer.

Last night, while cruising through Facebook, I came across this video from High Bridge Brass. Alto soloist Nathan Miller performs a melodious version of Mary Did You Know?



In my teen years, back when my brothers called me "metallic lips" for practicing so many hours a day, I might have attempted a solo like this. Now, ha - fat chance! Still, it warms my heart to hear an outstanding musician make an alto horn sing! 

No comments: