Monday, January 18, 2021

Book Blurb: Floriography

Reminder to self - less random books. My library sends out listings of all the new holdings. I am often enticed by these prospects. Floriography: An Illustrated Guide to the Victorian Language of Flowers, by Jessica Roux, drew my attention for several reasons. I love the Victorian era - the time in which floriography (communication through use of flowers), well, flourished. I love the symbolism of using flowers to communicate sentiments. Moreover, I named a few characters in my novels after particular flowers. Sadly, I did not find their flowers referenced in this book. It is easy to digest. Each page presents a flower, and the associated meanings. The illustrations are gorgeous. Still, I finished wishing the author had presented a bit more information (perhaps even examples of floriography for particular flowers as seen in Victorian literature). Beautiful companion for your coffee table.

No comments: