Monday, May 17, 2021

Book Review: Morality for Beautiful Girls

I've been in a blue funk. No desire to read or write. Only consuming audio books and even rejecting several of those. Thankfully, this third installment in Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series made me chuckle. One day I jumped in the car with my middle son and the CD player sprang to life at a very loud volume. It pronounced "Morality for Beautiful Girls." My son looked at me and said, "Mom, what ARE you listening to?" What a laugh!

Mma Ramotswe is worried about Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni. He has not been himself. She places him in Mma Potekwani's care while she investigates a case of poisoning. Her assistant has taken on the garage in the proprietor's absence and is whipping his two young apprentices into shape. The title comes from contemplations on the morality of beauty pageant contestants (another case they are tackling). I enjoy these asides where Precious Ramotswe considers the "old Botswana morality" and questions of right and wrong. Plus, I love Lisette Lecat's narration. Music to my ears.

No comments: