Saturday, May 8, 2021

Oh, Indispensable Digit

People don't lie awake at night thinking about the usefulness of thumbs. It's tragic how easily we take things of value for granted. Gratitude for my thumb is growing. Several weeks ago, I noticed pain from the knuckle of my right thumb down to my wrist when I attempted to pick things up or pinch something. Loathe to visit a doctor's office, I did what everyone does... consulted Dr. Google. Self-diagnosis? Tendonitis in my thumb. Officially, De Quervain's tenosynovitis, or sometimes called "blackberry thumb."

This situation is not new to me. In my mid-twenties, while working for the Claims Management office (of all places) of the University of Illinois, I went to pick up a stapler and couldn't lift it for the pain. After tests ruled out carpel tunnel, the doctor prescribed a splint and 800 mg (horse pills) of ibuprofen. I faithfully wore the splint and popped the pills. Six weeks later, the wrist was good as new.

Please, God, let it be so again (although I refuse to take that much ibuprofen). The alternative, should this thumb brace not work, is a shot of steroid into the tendon - yikes! Patient, heal thyself!


Many adaptations can be made, from squeezing shampoo/conditioner bottles with the left hand to hitting the space bar with my left thumb instead of the right. Yet, some actions pose more of a challenge. I have given up curling my hair (since the left hand holds my hair up while the right thumb is necessary to pinch open the curling iron). I write with the pen gripped between my forefinger and middle finger. Needless to say, my two daily pages have diminished. When I have to wash dishes (thank you, kind hubby, for tackling most of that, in addition to the cooking), I hold with my left and sweep across with a rag draped over my right fingers. It is amazing the myriad of activities requiring expert use of the thumb. Indeed, this Mental Floss article on the thumb quotes the American Medical Association assertion that thumb amputation "will result in a 40% impairment to the whole hand."

Praise God for a renewed attitude of gratitude! (*If you send your email address to wendy.hill0596@gmail.com, I'll happily send you my comical poem, "Ode to an Indispensable Digit")

- What thing/person of value have you taken for granted until experience revealed anew the gift? 

No comments: