Monday, February 28, 2022

Compilation: 10 Books That Are Love Songs to Music



In February, I often fill the dreary days with music or books about music. Since I've read quite a few books that I would consider love songs to music, I thought I'd compile a list. While most of these titles are novels, I highly recommend Musicophilia, by Oliver Sacks. It is such an outstanding exploration of all things brain and music-related. If you have children and wish to introduce them to orchestral instruments, you will thoroughly enjoy The Composer is Dead.  As for the novels, my two favorites from this list would have to be The Song of Hartgrove Hall and The Music Shop.

  1. Ellie and the Harpmaker by Hazel Prior (novel)
  2. The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan (novel)
  3. The Music Shop by Rachel Joyce (novel)
  4. The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons (novel)
  5. The Song of Hartgrove Hall by Natasha Solomons (novel)
  6. Gilbert and Sullivan Set Me Free by Kathleen Karr (middle grade novel)
  7. The Song Remains the Same by Allison Winn Scotch (novel)
  8. La's Orchestra Saves the World by Alexander McCall Smith (novel)
  9. The Composer is Dead by Lemony Snicket (children's)
  10. Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks (non-fiction)
Added 3/14/22: The Lives of the Musicians by Kathleen Krull (children's biography)

No comments: