Monday, February 14, 2022

I'm Infatuated

As frustrated as I am with my Facebook feed (go away quilt ads, women's underwear ads, local eyeglass ads that appear just after I text the photo of my new eyewear to my sister), I'm obsessed with two Internet sensations I've somehow missed. They've been around and have solid popularity. How did I miss this?? Without this invasive Facebook feed, they'd still be strangers. Oh, the hours I've whittled away watching videos. With the first, my husband is exasperated. With the second, he actually watches, too, sometimes. I know I don't watch television at all and make no attempts to keep up with current trends, but am I living in a cave?? Apparently so.


Celtic Thunder, how did I miss you in the past ten years of your popularity?? According to Twitter, they are a worldwide sensation and have topped the world music charts ten times. What a fabulous group of Irish male singers! Handsome, talented, theatrical, entrancing! Especially, the youngest member (never watched Glee, so didn't encounter him there, either). I've spent hours watching his progression from a tender teen to a young adult. I would ask for a DVD for my birthday (cannot just listen, must also watch) if they made a DVD of Damien McGinty songs through the years.

Here are my two favorites:


And who wouldn't love this sweet rendition of "Like a Bird Without Wings" by the baby-faced Damien McGinty? Love it!

My second new fixation is with Emmymade videos. I love her spunk and her style. She always teaches me a new recipe or a new treat I may wish to try someday. I've memorized her sign-off: "I hope you enjoyed this video. I hope you learned something. I'll see you in the next one. Toodle-loo, take care, bye!" She is delightful. 

Imagine my surprise when I discovered her YouTube video about balut, a fertilized duck egg popular in the Philippines. When I went on my summer youth mission trip to the Philippines in 1987, we had a running challenge to see who would try balut. In the end, my friend Andrew actually tried it, while I was only willing to drink out the juice, or as Emmy calls it, the soup. I think I would have been more adventurous had I watched this first.


No comments: