Monday, February 21, 2022

Book Review: The Stranger in the Lifeboat

Once again, I needed an audio selection but lacked time for the process. I dashed inside the library (something infrequent) and went to the audio fiction books. I figured you can always count on Mitch Albom to provide an inspirational read. He is best known for Tuesdays with Morrie, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and For One More Day. I've also read Have a Little Faith, The Time Keeper, and The First Phone Call from Heaven. So, yes, I've dipped into his books a time or two. 

I wanted to like this offering. However, several things stood in the way. It delivered on the inspirational end, but failed to show a proper understanding of God and His salvation. Any time an author attempts to portray God in a story, it will fall short. It will always be a human rendering. Albom's God was neither authentic nor likeable. Moreover, if you intend your story to express faith, it probably isn't a great idea to fill the book with filthy language. I understand the goal was to make that character reprehensible. Still, he could have mentioned expletives. Instead, the reader must endure the coarse portrayal. Several times, I almost gave up. I do not agree with the back cover promise, "Albom's most beguiling and inspiring novel yet."

Nine people are adrift at sea on a flimsy lifeboat after their yacht, carrying influential people, explodes. Three days later, they pull aboard someone who claims to be God. Albom attempts to answer the question: "What might the Lord look, sound and act like?" Benji, a deck hand, outlines their experience in a notebook intended for his deceased wife. All of this was a bit of a stretch and, also, irreverent.

I appreciated the author's redirection. He moves the reader from questions of "Why did God take this person from me?" to "Why did God give this person to me?" But, my overwhelming reaction is that Albom has a very limited portrayal of God. This is because he does not grasp or emphasize God's atonement to bring us salvation from sin. Albom's God is hollow, a superficial spirituality meant to buoy one's spirits through difficulties. He emphasizes "believing," but draws no attention to what's greater, our need for salvation from sin offered through the atoning sacrifice on the cross. Even the demons believed.

For me, I do not want religion. I can't embrace a God who only longs for us to believe in His existence but doesn't point out the chasm or offer to reconcile us to our maker. So, while I can appreciate an inspirational, feel-good, uplifting story, it still leaves me starving for the truth of the gospel. Albom's God didn't help them because they didn't even recognize the true nature of their need. So while belief in God assuages grief, true salvation does far more.

Content Caution: 📒 - language

No comments: