Monday, September 26, 2022

Book Review: All by Myself, Alone

It has been a while since I've read a Mary Higgins Clark novel. I couldn't remember if I should expect a clean read or not. Thankfully, it was a clean read. This little mystery filled my exercise time and made the miles on the recumbent bike and treadmill slip past quickly. I didn't solve the crime myself, but had to wait for the story's resolution.

Passengers on the Queen Charlotte cruise ship's maiden voyage have high hopes for a pleasant crossing. Celia Kilbride, a gem and jewelry expert, is happy to travel and provide guest lectures to get her away from the buzz back home surrounding a financial investment scandal. Professor Longworth is also onboard to give lectures on Shakespeare. Willy and Alvirah Meehan have booked passage to celebrate their 45th wedding anniversary. But mostly, eyes are on the elderly Lady Emily Haywood, who intends to wear her famous emerald necklace. The stage is set. The characters in place. Then, the tragedy takes hold of the ship. Who is responsible for these attacks on the passengers? Where has the necklace gone? Will amateur sleuth Alvirah solve the crime before they reach their destination? This author pulls off yet another mystery for the books.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendy, it’s Jan McCarty!
I am a huge fan of this author! I have almost all of her books…I have read her books for years!
It is nice to find another fan. By the way, none of her books contain anything offensive…always clean!
I want to recommend another wonderful series…At Home in Mitford! Focused on Father Tim who is a minister in a small town. The author escapes my aging brain, but I think you would enjoy this lovely book!

Wendy Hill said...

Hi Jan! Yes, I'll have to read more now that I can count on a clean read. I've read several of Jan Karon's series - I think my most recent was Somewhere Safe With Somebody Good. Thanks for stopping by my blog.