Monday, November 28, 2022

Compilation: 14 Books Set in Estate Houses


This month's compilation offers books that are set in estate houses (mostly British). If you love Downton Abbey, these are books you might find equally appealing. The books are listed from most recent to most distant read:

  1. The Birdcage by Eve Chase
  2. The Hollow by Agatha Christie
  3. The Banishment by Marion Chesney (M. C. Beaton)
  4. The Last Garden in England by Julia Kelly
  5. They Do It With Mirrors by Agatha Christie
  6. Longbourn by Jo Baker
  7. Black Rabbit Hall by Eve Chase
  8. The Duchess by Danielle Steel
  9. The Light in the Ruins by Chris Bohjalian
  10. The House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons
  11. The Song of Hartgrove Hall by Natasha Solomons
  12. Serafina and the Black Cloak by Robert Beatty
  13. Blackmoore by Julianne Donaldson
  14. Fablehaven by Brandon Mull

This is a theme well-worth sticking to and these authors deserve further exploration. Next up, I might select The Daughters of Foxcote Manor by Eve Chase, or The Light Over London by Julia Kelly, The Telling by Jo Baker, or House of Gold by Natasha Solomons (one I intended to read back in 2018). There are 3 more books in the Serafina series, and 5 total in the Fablehaven series. I could select one of Chris Bohjalian's 20 novels or from the almost endless supply of M. C. Beaton or Agatha Christie novels.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...

I read one middle grade Serafina book by Robert Beatty, not realizing it was a series. Are you referring to the same books?

The one I read felt like a predictiable formula book and although I finished it, I wasn't drawn into it although I did enjoy the descriptions of the estate.

Wendy Hill said...

Yes, Gretchen - I only read the first book in the series and didn't continue. Like you, the best thing about the book was learning more about the Biltmore Estate. I actually wanted to go visit it after reading about it more.