Thursday, October 13, 2022

Book Review: The Birdcage

In 2017, I highly recommended Eve Chase's Black Rabbit Hall. I adored that book. Thus, I thought I'd give her recent work, The Birdcage, a try. Back in 2017, I didn't provide the content caution on my reviews. Did Black Rabbit Hall contain questionable content that I overlooked, or did Eve Chase now give in to the pressures of the modern agenda? I was so wishing this would be a clean read. Alas, it was not. And, as is so often the case, it remained clean long enough to lure me in sufficiently before the compromising content surfaced.

Eve Chase creates an atmosphere of suspense in a story of three half-sisters who summered with their father in his isolated manor house in Cornwall back in 1999. Something happened on the day of the solar eclipse. It fragmented their relationships. Now, in 2019, the father has invited all three back to Rock Point. What is his impending announcement? Are there new plans for Rock Point? Can the girls reunite without harkening back to the mysterious day that ripped them apart from each other? Who is leaving menacing notes trying to drive them away? Will the secrets ever come to light?

Although I kept reading, despite the intrusion, I cannot say I enjoyed this book as much as Black Rabbit Hall. Eve Chase is a masterful writer. She knows how to people old British manor homes with interesting characters. She spins a web of mystery that sucks a reader in thoroughly. I'm rather discouraged, because I was hoping this would be a clean read.

Content Caution: 📒



No comments: