Thursday, December 22, 2022

Book Review: Alaskan Holiday

Keeping in the Christmas holiday theme, I've been listening to Debbie Macomber holiday novels. This one, Alaskan Holiday, was pleasant enough. My single complaint is that the narrator for the male parts of the narration was over-the-top in his voicing of the characters. It was grating. Still, the story held my attention. It is a simple tale of love challenged by the isolating Alaskan frontier. Palmer is eager to propose to Josie, but knows she is due to return to Seattle, Washington, to her dream job working with a famous chef in a new restaurant. He's unsure she will choose isolation in Alaska with him, over the amenities and opportunities of a big city without him. Both narrations for Palmer and Jack irritated me. My favorite part of the whole audio book was in the introduction by the author. Macomber shares two pithy quotes about Alaska that had me laughing:

1) "In Alaska, the men are men, and so are the women!"

2) "It is also said for single women in Alaska, the odds are good, but the goods are odd!"

Alaskan Holiday provides a lighthearted, warm Christmas tale. I simply recommend reading a hard copy rather than listening to the audio version. 

No comments: