Thursday, April 6, 2023

Book Review: Paths of Glory - Highly Recommend

I'm a big fan of Jeffrey Archer's writing. Known for his supreme skill for the surprise ending, the unexpected twist, he always delivers an engrossing and entertaining tale. Since I was already heading to a partner library that is farther away (to return Indiana Winter to their Indiana Heritage Room), I took a moment to scan their audio book selections. I'm so glad I landed on this excellent Archer book on a Mt. Everest climber.

George Lee Mallory had a dream. He hoped to one day reach the summit of Mt. Everest. From an early age, he climbed whatever stood in front of him. I cannot imagine the terror it must have been to mother a child with such a propensity. His story is colorful and moving. Jeffrey Archer captures not only the height of this man's imagination and drive but also the depth of his love for two ladies (one being a mountain - wink).

Swept into this story, I eagerly awaited time for my morning walk and moments snagged while waiting for Sean (something I no longer have to do, now that he has his driver's license). When the last sentences were done, I let the car CD player start the final CD all over again, wanting to hear those last bits on repeat. It was clean (maybe one minor scene - can't remember), entrancing, and unforgettable. I highly recommend this Jeffrey Archer tale. And if you're more of a series person, I also recommend his Clifton Chronicles series. His pacing is perfect. Each story holds the reader spell-bound.  

No comments: