Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Curses, Savings Foiled!

I hate it when a great plan falls apart. I suppose karma is biting me in the butt for gloating over my triumphs in the savings arena. Now, I am no longer feeling the love of a great deal, but rather weeping over sour grapes of a good deal gone bad.

Kohl's lured me in with their e-mail proclaiming there was still time to earn $15 in Kohl's cash for every $50 purchase, plus I had a code to save 20%. I had been wishing for a pair of boots to wear with the lovely $1.74 outfit I scored recently. Thus, I searched the Kohl's coffers and found this lovely boot, normally $79.99, on sale for $24.99 ($20 with my 20% off):

Next, I needed a new comforter for Sean's bed. All three twin beds in their room have black comforters. Sean's is the only bed with red sheets. Thus, I felt like I had scored big time when I purchased this $80 reversible down alternative comforter for $24.99 (again $20, with the 20% off):

For my final purchase, to bring me to the $50 point, I ordered a twin set of memory foam pillows for $17.99 ($14.40). That brought my total over $50 and thus I secured the coveted $15 Kohl's cash to use on socks for my husband.

Alas, the comforter arrived today and it is red and tan, not red and black. I checked on-line and the store near me had some available, so I called to see if it was an error in the on-line presentation. Woe is me. They have no black twin down alternative comforters (this was a misprint on-line ... all the red ones have tan on the reverse side). My only option, in order to keep the Kohl's cash, is to trade the red/tan one for another color. So, when I return the comforter, I will be stripped of my Kohl's cash. Curses! Most foul misrepresentation!

So, Sean and I began another Internet search for an alternative black comforter. We found a reversible black/gray one on the Target website. Sadly it is not the fine quality of the Kohl's one and is not down alternative. It was listed as only $14, but when I placed it in the cart, it came up as $18. Oh well, I plugged on. I entered my Target card information (hoping to save the meager 5% they offer when you use their store card). My card was declined. When I called, I learned that they closed my account because I hadn't used the card in over a year. Curses! Foiled from saving yet again (I suppose ninety cents won't kill me).

Then, I open another e-mail to discover that the American Eagle coat I purchased just days ago for 40% off has now, just for today, been marked down to 50% off. That's a whole ten further dollars I could have saved. Blimey! I feel like change is falling out of my pockets! Now, I'm off to wash my $1.74 outfit so I can wear it when the $80 boots I scored for $20 come in the mail (please Lord, let nothing be wrong with those).
========
Update: I called American Eagle and they processed my request and are putting the difference back on my card. Yippee! Bless you, American Eagle, and thank you for putting the customer first!

No comments: