Friday, June 15, 2018

Book Review: 50 Ways to Get a Job

A month or so ago, I stumbled onto what would appear to be a "dream job" for me. In checking my sons' school lunch menu, I jogged over to the job opportunities link on the district website and noted an opening for elementary school librarian. What could be better for a dedicated bibliophile than the opportunity to encourage children to love books? I immediately filled out the application and was quite pleased to get an interview.

Alas, I believe it was the interview that tripped me up (well, that and my twelve years out of the work-force while raising my boys and attempting to get my writing career off the ground). My intensity of desire led to a bad case of nerves and when I'm nervous, I tend to prattle on about things that are irrelevant or counterproductive. Looking back, I think I drew attention to my weaknesses instead of my strengths. Needless to say, I didn't manage to prove myself the best candidate for the job. Still, it was a great exercise (I've only had one other job interview in the past sixteen years, so it stands to reason, I might be a bit rusty) and I learned quite a bit. I might have fared better if I had worked through this book prior to that interview.

50 Ways to Get a Job: An Unconventional Guide to Finding Work on Your Terms is very unique kind of job-search manual. For starters, the structure is quite striking. It feels like a choose-your-own-adventure style book. At the end of each section, the author provides a number of exercises to work through (including some excellent writing prompts I intend to use during my daily free-association writing pages), followed by possible non-linear paths through the book. It makes sense, really, because every job search is a unique endeavor and people move at different paces and have differing needs.

Moreover, the book encourages you to do more than simply make a list of your skills and dream job components. Here is a minor glimpse at some of the suggestions in the book: "1) Make a Map of Your Current Career Path, 2) Schedule a Vacation Buffer, 3) Find Your Center of Gravity, 4) Write Fiction About Yourself, 5) List Twenty People Whose Careers You Admire, 6) Practice Different Ways of Introducing Yourself, etc. The activities aid in self-understanding, so you have a clear picture of where you've been and where you'd like to possibly go. Even if you're not looking for a job, but simply would like to get to know yourself more, this book provides interesting things to consider. Writers will find a variety of writing prompts.

Thankfully, my job search is on hiatus until the fall (because of commitments to my annual music camp and family Bible camp). This means I will have plenty of time to work through several of the writing prompts and exercises suggested in this book. I still think I would have been a perfect fit for that school librarian position, but who knows, maybe something even better is out there just waiting for me to stumble upon. Hopefully, when that opportunity opens up, I'll be armed with the proper ammunition for securing work that is meaningful and enjoyable.

No comments: