Monday, June 18, 2018

On the Move

Bryce begins his new job a week from today. He was given a portion of money to help pay for his moving expenses but because he wanted to save as much as possible (great thing to raise a saver, no?),  he decided to forego hiring movers and simply have his family assist him. I must say, given John's recent surgery for hernia repair, I wasn't thrilled with the decision. Thankfully, Trevor is a big strapping teenager now, so he was able to heft quite a bit of the weight for the larger items (only three challenging items - the couch, the queen mattress, and the easy chair).

Saturday was a very long day. We drove to Purdue and loaded everything into the truck. I had actually prayed that some burly college student might pass by and offer to assist, but that didn't materialize and Bryce and Trevor managed to load the heavy items alone. After a quick packed lunch we headed out for the five hour drive to Parkersburg, West Virginia. The drive took longer than expected because we hit two traffic jams, two spells of torrential rain, and made three different pit stops. Still, unloading is always easier than loading and I'm thankful that the rain was restricted to the drive. The biggest obstacle was the wall directly in front of the apartment door. I'm still not sure how they managed to get that large couch into the apartment, but they did. By 9:30 p.m., the truck was unloaded and returned to the drop-off site and we were seated around the coffee table (hadn't yet put the legs onto the large wooden dining table) eating a hearty Taco Bell dinner.

I was able to snag a photo of my men shortly before we pulled out for the drive home on Father's Day (now that Bryce is officially on his own, I'm not sure we'll all be together for future Father's Day celebrations):


I pray that God would protect Bryce and bless him in his new life there. I pray he will make new friends and find fulfillment in his work. It was harder to leave him this time around (as opposed to leaving him when we dropped him off at Purdue) because you know your child will make friends at college, but when entering the work force, it feels slightly more intimidating, with fewer assurances that loneliness will not creep in. But, I'm happy for his new beginning and hopeful for his future.

2 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

My goodness, I can relate on so many levels. Last spring a moving van arrived to our house to pack our son's things because he was moving to Little Rock, Arkansas for a job. Then, a few weeks later we followed in two cars to bring the rest of his stuff. I'll never forget that feeling when we drove away after helping him move in ... especially when we crossed one state border, then another, and another, and it hit me how far away he was. Good luck to your son and his new job! And good luck to mom!

Wendy Hill said...

Thanks Bia! He has been kept quite busy this week (unpacking, new license, new car insurance policy, new phone plan, etc.) and assured me that he is used to living alone (he had a one bedroom apt at Purdue for his senior year), but you know how moms are - I still feel the anxiety and the distance. Thankfully, since his girlfriend has another year at Purdue, he has assured us that he will visit at least once a month.