Saturday, June 2, 2018

In Defense of Cory Asbury's "Reckless Love"

Lately, I have been fixated on a popular song airing on the Christian radio stations: Cory Asbury's "Reckless Love." I'll admit, I was caught - hook, line, and sinker - pulled in by the beauty of the melody and the intensity of the expression of God's love.



Thus, I posted my affection for the song on Facebook (something I rarely do). I know that I'm not alone in my attraction. One of the announcers on the station I currently tune to exclaimed that it was the number one song request these days. Moreover, the official lyric version on You Tube has received over 21 million hits. Billboard pegged it the number one song on their US Top Christian Songs list for eleven weeks running.

Apparently, this song is creating quite a stir. Theologians are jumping to urge worship leaders to forego use of the song because of the questionable word "reckless," with its negative connotations. In a recent interview with John Piper, a listener asks "Is the term 'reckless' too reckless?" Piper discusses his issues with the word and outlines all the possible meanings attributed to the term. But that's the problem in a nutshell. Words have multiple meanings. You can only discern the intended meaning of the word by interpreting it within its context.

I honestly don't understand how people are getting their haunches up over the possible connotations of a single word in a song that clearly demonstrates the unfathomable extent of God's love. If you actually take the time to understand the song in its entirety, you cannot misunderstand the intended meaning. He is not saying that God's love is risky or feckless, or that God doesn't know the outcome. He is not implying that God could have made a mistake in choosing to love us or that His act of love on our behalf was ill-advised. Moreover, I don't believe he is saying it was a careless act.

The lyrics as a whole point to the use of the word in the synonymous form of "audacious," "impetuous," or - my take on the word - "relentless." His love is, indeed, "overwhelming" and "never-ending" - it "chases me down," "fights 'til I'm found," and pays it all, for me! It gives without any concern for whether it will be accepted or denied. I'm convinced there would have been nary a dot of hub-bub if the author had penned the word "relentless," instead.

I guess what rankles me the most is that individuals who go against this song because a particular word raises negative connotations for them seem to be presenting themselves as the sole judge of whether a fellow Christian is theologically sound or theologically defective. There is that implied sense of "Well, I wouldn't sing those words because they are not biblical." Surely there is much to be gained by a song that directs even unbelievers to the audacious, unexpectedly impetuous, and relentless love of God. And isn't there enough divisiveness in the church already? Do we need to add the additional friction of pointing fingers at others who can sing these words with integrity in their hearts?

As for me, I don't see these lyrics as "theologically defective." To me, this song is highly reminiscent of the beloved poem, "The Hound of Heaven," by Francis Thompson. That poem begins with the famous lines:

"I fled Him, down the nights and down the days;
I fled Him, down the arches of the years;
I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways
Of my own mind; and in the mist of tears
I hid from Him ...
From those strong feet that followed, followed after.
But with unhurrying chase,
And unperturbed pace,
Deliberate speed, majestic instancy,
They beat ..."

The poem communicates the relentless pursuit of God for one of His own, just as this song does. And, it highlights our lack of worth, just as "Reckless Love" does ("I couldn't earn it; I don't deserve it; still You give Yourself away"):

"How hast thou merited -
Of all man's clotted clay the dingiest clot?
Alack, thou knowest not
How little worthy of any love thou art!
Whom wilt thou find to love ignoble thee.
Save Me, save only Me!"

I'm thankful for that love that recklessly pursued me. I'm thankful for a song that reminds me of the intensity of God's love. And I don't think I'm being "unfaithful" by enjoying or singing along with Cory Asbury's song. So, as for me, I will recklessly continue to sing along.

1 comment:

NaomiRuth said...

My thoughts exactly!