Monday, June 14, 2021

Book Review: Marketing Made Simple

Fresh on the heels of reading Business Made Simple (released 1/21), I picked up its successor (released 3/21), Marketing Made Simple: A Step-by-Step Storybrand Guide for Any Business. You may wonder, "Why this spate of business/marketing books?" While I have no desire to go into business, I have a book I'm desperate to bring to market. These days, even if you go the traditional publishing route, they expect you to market yourself. I will admit, my discomfort is monumental! I'm thrilled with the writing, just mortified by the marketing. Still, if I had to turn anywhere for wisdom and advice, Donald Miller (and his Storybrand program) is a solid choice. He provides succinct and successful marketing plans.

I took more notes from MMS than BMS. Miller walks you through all the important steps to creating a successful and enticing website. His advice is very customer-centric. He asks, "How will you solve your customer's problem? And how will you present this in story form to draw them in and keep them interested?" With less than ten seconds to lure them in, your hook must be solid, clear, and promising. Moreover, if you do not build trust, they will not respond. Unlike, "if you build it, they will come," Miller's advice is more like "if they trust you, they will buy." The author provides plenty to think about and work on; indeed, Miller's book offers value that helps you offer value!

No comments: