Thursday, June 3, 2021

Book Review: The Stories of Ray Bradbury

After enjoying Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, I grew obsessed with finding the short story that introduced me to Bradbury long ago. I read the tale in a small school anthology and, in my mind, it had something to do with a character who felt small bugs crawling on his scalp and extremities. It sufficiently creeped me out and etched Bradbury's name forever in my psyche. I so hoped I would find the tale in this large 100-story anthology. Alas, I did not locate any story involving an attack of invisible microorganisms.

I recalled having read "Fever Dream," a story about an ill boy (could it be that my mind meshed this story with another read in the same anthology by a separate author?) who believes something is taking over his limbs and stealing his body as a host. I remember reading "There Will Come Soft Rains," at some point in school. And I have a vague memory of reading the story about the nursery walls that somehow become the African jungle (can't recall the title of that one).

Since I was primarily seeking one story, I skimmed through quite a few of them (did not read the full 100). Still, I enjoyed many of the stories: "Some Live Like Lazarus," "The Screaming Woman," "I Sing the Body Electric!," "The Inspired Chicken Motel," "Have I Got a Chocolate Bar for You," "A Story of Love," and "The Parrot Who Met Papa." I appreciated the introductory chronology, as it helped me to place much of Bradbury's life in history. I believe I'm done with my Bradbury fixation, for now. It was fun while it lasted.

No comments: