Monday, September 27, 2021

Book Review: Life's too Short

I dislike fan fiction. I think it's annoying when readers take a book they love and then, to prove their adoration, shift aspects of the story to their liking, take characters in their own direction, and create alternate universes for someone else's creation. Having said that, I would love to take some less-than-clean modern literature, run it through a washing machine, and make it accessible to a wider audience. I think I'd start with this book, Life's too Short, by Abby Jimenez.

I feel guilty even admitting I consumed this book. It goes against my moral compass and my desire for literature without foul language. However, it was a worthwhile investment of my reading hours. True, I could not listen when my sons were nearby, and my husband raised an eyebrow one morning when he overheard bits while I was washing dishes. Plus, it comes from a worldview I cannot embrace. So many individuals in this day respond to attraction by jumping into physical intimacy long before establishing a relationship or commitment to one another. In my opinion, this leads to a host of difficulties. God set out a plan for this and His way offers the best path to fulfillment, safety, and blessing. Of course, I cannot expect those who reject God to embrace His wisdom. For them, His restrictions seem disagreeable rather than loving. He is the tyrant bent on silencing their fun.

This book's premise is enticing. Vanessa Price is a YouTube superstar. Millions follow her travels around the world as she raises money for ALS. She determines to suck the marrow from life while she can because the women in her family never make it to 30. But now, life is a bit off the rails because her half sister thrust custody of her infant daughter into Vanessa's lap. Help comes from an unexpected quarter. Enter the drop-dead gorgeous lawyer next door, annoyed with the incessant wail on the other side of his wall. Can Vanessa keep her promise to shun all relationships? After all, who wants to date a woman on death's door?

Apart from the cursing, the writing is such that you forget there is a magician behind the curtain bringing things to life. The book holds great wisdom about the importance of valuing each given day of life. Plus, it was absolutely hilarious! Laugh out loud funny. If only I had written down some of the great lines. I loved the bit about the elderly Chihuahua hanging out with his inner demon for company (reminiscent of my sister's possessed Chihuahua they affectionately called "Satan"). I was thoroughly absorbed in the story. 

If I'd read the physical book instead of audio, I could have skipped the salacious passages. Alas, I had to endure them. Again, wouldn't it be great if some publisher recognized and catered to those of us who desire clean reads? I'd enjoy creating clean versions of books. It wouldn't be fan fiction, because the only things I would change would be foul language and blatant immorality. Of course, I'd still struggle with the contrary worldview, wouldn't I? Oh well, it sounded like a plan, anyway.

No comments: