Monday, March 11, 2024

Book Review: Authentically, Izzy

Ever since I published a book of poetry for parents of prodigals (talk about a narrow, hard-sell category!), I've paid attention to rankings on Amazon for books I read and discover. Pepper Basham's Authentically, Izzy is the #1 Best Seller in the Contemporary Christian Romance category. Wow! It deserves that spot! I've said before that I'm not drawn to romance books. This book lured me in with promises of both epistolary story and bookish fixation. It was great fun!

At 12-years-old, Isabelle Edgewood's parents died in a plane crash. Now her concerned cousin (quasi-sibling) has signed her up for a dating website. Although she would love to find Prince Charming, her checkered love life makes her hesitant. So, when book-loving Brodie strikes up correspondence, Izzy believes he is too good to be true. She is sure it must be her cousin writing the letters. Just as she's learning he's real (and living on a delightful island near Scotland), a local author named Eli asks her out. It is the age-old question: Should Izzy seek the adventure far away or the available romance nearby? Will her fear of plane travel keep her from pursuing a possible soul-mate?

I love epistolary novels! (To explain my romance via correspondence, see my Dear Henry, Love Edith review.) Thus, I didn't necessarily agree with reviewers who struggled with a novel written entirely in letters, texts, and messages. Another author friend of mine, who tried listening to Positively, Penelope (follow-up book), said it is perhaps better read in hard form. Although I didn't feel put off by the format, I agree with her assessment. I'd recommend physically scanning pages, as opposed to listening to them in audio book form.

Still, that quibble aside, I loved so many aspects of this novel. Brodie... oh, my! I crushed on him more than the Scottish boyfriend in Sliding Doors (a character I adore). I loved the banter back and forth between the cousins. Izzy IS authentic and vulnerable and sweet. She deserves to find the love of a fellow booklover. I enjoyed all the book references (and connected with many of them). The book makes you wish the island of Skymar and all these characters were real! If you love epistolary novels and seek a clean story full of witty banter, look no further. Authentically, Izzy will warm the coldest heart and inspire the flagging book lover. (I liked this one better than Dear Henry, Love Edith.)



1 comment:

Gretchen said...



Thanks so much for this review! I've heard good things about this book, but I wasn't convinced I'd enjoy it until now. Thanks! I always appreciate your reviews.