Thursday, March 7, 2024

Book Review: The Keeper of Stories

For a debut novel, I am impressed. The Keeper of Stories is like Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, in that a lowly cleaner learns to assert herself and claim her own story. Because the personality-packed dog expresses foul-mouthed thoughts, it reminded me of The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (whose memorable opening line sucked me in: "The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs got nothing much to say.") It is a frame story, much like The Arabian Nights (mentioned in the book). But, most of all, it is, as the back cover proclaims, a book "full of humor and depth - that has taken readers around the world by surprise."

In Janice's role as a housekeeper, she collects people's stories. Whether it is a snippet of story overheard on her bus ride or the tales of her clients, she relishes adding another story to her repertoire. Mostly, her clients are more interested in their own stories. But when Janice begins cleaning for Mrs. B, a flamboyant 92-year-old, she knows her story will be sucked from her eventually. Mrs. B. once worked as a spy. She's keen to know the secrets lurking beneath the surface of this mild-mannered cleaner.

I was thoroughly unprepared for the emotional investment, the clever interconnectedness, and the unexpected humor. By the end of the book, I marveled at the author's skill for bringing tears one moment, followed by snorts of laughter in the next. Despite the content in some stories (harlots, suicide, murder) and despite the foul mouth Janice hears from the beloved dog she walks, it left me enthralled. The book touches on many important truths about human weakness, tenuous familial bonds, and second chances. Primarily, I loved the focus on how each of our stories holds importance in the lives of others and teaches us something about the world. Not only did I enjoy piecing together, bit by bit, Janice's story, but I loved reading the author's bio. How fascinating! Sally Page dabbles in history, flowers, photography, pens, and stories. I'm so glad she wrote this debut novel. I will keep my eye out for more and may look up her daughter, the author Libby Page.   

1 comment:

Gretchen said...


After reading your review I'll pulled it up on Libby. I'm now #26 waiting in line for this book to become available. Patience.