Monday, November 24, 2008

Book Review: Never Let Me Go

I wish I had the energy to write a better review for this book. Alas, I have been totally drained the last two days. I spent most of Sunday in bed, sleeping. Tonight, logged on to read my mail and write this brief review, but did note that Coleman Larson needs further prayers. He is now unable to walk on his own. Thankfully, they are home and will enjoy a Thanksgiving with family.

On to the book - Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro, was quite interesting to listen to. Despite the Asian sounding name, Ishiguro is British and does a remarkable job of painting life (and speculative life) in England. The book tells the story from the perspective of Kathy H., a student who grew up at Hailsham school. At the outset, Kathy explains that she has spent most of her time recently being a "carer" for many "donors." But, then she begins to outline her background a bit more and you come to understand more and more of the nature of the boarding school where she was raised. Without giving away too much of the book, Ishiguro does a splendid job of drawing interesting characters and intertwining them in an ever-unfolding story with suspense and intrigue. The premise is one which could set you thinking anyway, since it opens up a few ethical worm-cans.

It is definitely a good read and if you want a great British tale to listen to, do check out the audio version. It reminded me a bit of an adult version of a story like Lois Lowery's The Giver. My only criticism, is that the entire story could have been achieved just as well without any of the discussions or allusions to sexual situations. Still, a very good read.

2 comments:

Lucy said...

I loved this book. I agree about the reference to the sexual situations, but the premise of the book, the building up to reveal their actual situation was brilliant. It's a book that has stayed with me for YEARS! Glad you enjoyed it.

Amy Sorensen said...

I loved it, too. like Lucy said, I continue to think about it.

If you like the ideas that Ishiguro sets up here, you might try Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. She takes the whole genetic engineering thing to a whole different level. Although, there might be some sexual references in there...I don't remember. I tend to just skim over the sex and move on.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving!