Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Fine Walk

Lately, I've been really battling the blues. It is not at all surprising. I often encounter this in January. The rush and hustle and bustle of Christmas has given way to dull routine and the weather often keeps us indoors more than I'd like. Last week, the little boys didn't make it to school at all. On Tuesday, YS was still recuperating from his bout with croup (would that be recrouperating?) and MS didn't feel like going. Then Thursday was a snow day.

By Tuesday of this week, I was really needing some time away from my children. Unfortunately, my time was taken up with shopping (although, I do appreciate being able to shop without the constant distractions aid and assistance of my two little guys). Today, I was determined to take more time for me.

Alas, ES was home sick from school. I ended up using the entire time (while the little boys were in pre-school) cleaning the house and getting food and drink for the helpless 12 year old. I knew that a good walk in the sunshine would do wonders for my mood. So, after putting YS down for a nap, I decided to let MS skip a nap and take a walk with me (he naps on school days, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should just skip his naps entirely, so that we can keep his bedtime more consistent). The misfortune of having ES home from school became advantageous, since it afforded one-on-one time with MS and a fine walk.

Come along and join us, won't you?


MS could barely look at me, there was so much sunlight as we set off.

This is a tree which split during an ice storm a few years ago.

A while back, ES was reading Holes and thought it would be fun to dig his own hole near the entrance to our woods. MS wanted me to take a picture of him down in the hole. This brings to mind that book, Look Me In The Eye, about the Aspergian who dug holes and put his younger brother in them. Not surprising that the younger brother went on to write a book entitled, Running with Scissors!

I'm not sure when this tree fell in our woods, but it IS magnificent, isn't it?

King of the stump.

Looking down on the creek which wends its way through our woods.

We noticed this large purple ball in the brush near the creek when we were walking with my family just after Christmas. At the time, I was convinced that it was our purple ball, which must have blown out of the yard and into the creek at some point. Then, a few weeks ago, I pulled into the garage and oddly noticed that our purple ball was nestled in the wagon, where it is usually kept. (The miracle of the multiplying of purple balls? - only in a boy world!)

A moment to rest.

Looking back on our progress so far.

Come on, buddy, you can keep up!

Even though these signs are posted, people still trespass and come onto our property to hunt.

MS loves exploring the equipment.

And a walk wouldn't be complete without getting dirty!

As we headed to the white barn, I heard a rustling in the brush. I told MS, "Deer" and sure enough, one sprinted away from us.

When it was a safe distance away, it turned and stood watching us for quite a while.

Running to the white barn.


Two broken windows in temporary repair. Thanks ES!


Another magnificent tree (wish I could identify all these, like my brother can).

In the walnut grove.


MS told me to keep heading home. He would go "this way." It took some convincing that his way wouldn't get him home. Finally, I enlisted his help to pick up the trash along the side of the road as we made our way home. We both arrived home with arms loaded - one outdoor Christmas decoration box, one candy wrapper, two fast-food drink cups, and five aluminum cans. Kind of makes me want to burst out into song (Don't put your trash on my side of the road ...), so I guess it was a beneficial walk. I think we should do this more often.

4 comments:

My Three Sons said...

Your land is beautiful. I could so easily get lost (on purpose) on your farm. How many acres do you have? Looks like a lot.

I'm glad you got some nice quiet time. HOpefully you will be able to do this more often.

Unknown said...

I really like those pictures of the walnut grove and the white barn. They're so artistic and soothing, actually.

And I'm impressed that you cleaned up the road as you returned home. What a conscientious citizen you are!

Unknown said...

That last piccie of him walking in the Walnut Grove is a competition winner Wendy, but a lovely walk too.

Wendy Hill said...

Kaci - I feel like I have gotten lost here, but not on purpose.

CG - Yes, I feel outraged if someone dumps trash on our property, yet walk right by all my clutter within our house with no problem at all.

Sarah - Thanks for the encouragement on the photo. I'm not at all a good photographer, but did really like the way a few of these turned out.