Saturday, January 10, 2009

My Insides are Smiling, Can You See Them?

I don't even have time to be on here blogging tonight (yes, it is nearing 1 a.m. and hubby has been after me all week for persisting in my late nights), but I'm bursting with internal smiles and will explode if I don't share!

First off, today was Coleman Larson's funeral in Iowa. How I wish I could have travelled the distance to be in attendance, to meet the family personally, and to express my gratitude for sharing their journey. Last night, I was trying to express some of these feelings in a comment on another CarePage, but couldn't quite locate the Scripture verse or song lyrics which popped into my head. All I know is that the line was something about how God redeems every sorrow we bear. In searching, I did find an excellent article, from a book called Never Give Up, (how appropriate when thinking of Team Larson!) regarding blessings resulting from sorrows. I have been far more blessed by the Larson family than I could ever repay. I will continue to walk next to them on their journey and petition the Lord for his blessings to cover them abundantly.

This reminds me of another journey which has me smiling. I found the Larsons shortly after finding Boothe Farley's blog about her Trisomy 18 baby, Copeland. They welcomed a new baby girl in November and I have been anxious to hear how things were going for them. How thrilled I was to read a new update. Boothe began by apologizing and claiming that art is usually cultivated in sorrow and harder to duplicate when life is calm. However, this post was anything but dull. She has such a gift for articulating what many of us feel. I am smiling inside when I think of the spring they are experiencing after their harsh winter.

Once again, I gotta say - I love a good redemption story! We had the privilege of watching an excellent movie this evening with a fine redemption story. Years ago, my hubby and I had watched "The Spitfire Grill," and I remember that my husband thought it was very touching. So, I purchased this as a gift for him and when he opened it, he said, "Why would you get me a movie we've never seen." I insisted that we had seen it. He finally vaguely remembered it about a half hour into the movie.

This was also about the same time that MS came out for a "supposed potty run" and ended up on the couch between us watching the. entire. movie. Here's the kicker. My kind-hearted, intuitive, sensitive little guy cried at the end and cried in his bed while falling asleep. He told me he prefers scary movies to sad movies. He's only four years old, for cryin' out loud, and he's already crying at sad movies. That boy made me smile through my tears.

Then, I received the most fabulous news tonight. My pen-pal Katja, had been deeply grieved over news that she would be unable to conceive a child. She has found out that she is unexpectedly expecting. I know it is early in her pregnancy and I know that this redemption story is far from complete. But, inside I can't stop grinning from ear to ear thinking about her news. I will be praying for God to richly bless Katja, Martin and this baby in the year 2009!

Another thing which made me smile tonight, and I hope it has a mirror effect (i.e., may my smile be duplicated on your face!) - this quote which my sister-in-law sent out:

"God doesn't give you the people you want. He gives you the people you NEED. To help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you, and to make you into the person you were meant to be." I don't know who said it, but it is good and so is God!

1 comment:

My Three Sons said...

That is a great phrase. After what I have been challenged with over the last couple of months, it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for that.