Sunday, January 11, 2009

Quite a Day for YS

YS's morning started early this morning with another episode of croup. As I drove to the emergency room, I found myself thinking, "This was a sad night for the little critter population!" I must have passed six different scenes of road-kill. Then again, this is the COUNTRY! It may be like this every morning. I'm just not usually out on the roads in the early morning hours. Plus, each time I make this trip, it becomes more of a routine, and I notice other things, besides his stridorous breathing.

Of course, this time around he can talk, so he continued to say "Go home now," through everything. Still, he did very well receiving the oral steroid and the breathing treatment. They kept him for observation for one hour and then sent us home.

At lunch, just before nap-time, he spilled chocolate milk all over "sleepy bear." Thus, his nap was quite delayed because I couldn't get him to go to sleep until sleepy bear was washed and at least partially dry.

At bedtime, I decided to run the vaporizer once the two little ones were in bed. Unfortunately, hubby went in to check on them (trying to determine a reason they were still awake - as if they ever really need a reason!) and came out with YS, declaring that he had a dirty diaper keeping him from going to sleep. I was already logged onto the computer, so he agreed to change him and put him back to bed. Sadly, when hubby went to wash his hands, YS scampered back to his room and touched the vaporizer.

Thank goodness for sleepy bear. He wouldn't let me put anything cold near his hand, yet cried in pain. Finally, I tucked an ice pack into his sleepy bear and encouraged him to hold sleepy bear. It worked like a charm. He is asleep, as I write, on the couch, holding the sleepy bear adorned ice pack. Since his head is nicely elevated on the arm rest of the couch, I might just sleep out here with him. Sure hope he has a better (uneventful) day tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a day for YS! But I have to say that was quite clever on your part putting the ice pack inside the bear. Does the bear have a zipper back? None of my kids' stuffed animals have any kind of opening.

Here's hoping the next day is better than the last.

Wendy Hill said...

CG - I should have explained better. Sleepy bear is one of those lovey blankets with a bear's head and a blanket body. I just put the ice pack into the blanket material and he was willing to hold it. He woke around 2 a.m. and asked to go to the "cribby". Plus, he had a better day today, thanks!