Sunday, January 18, 2009

Book Review: A Midnight Clear


As a college student, I remember one of my roommates reading and raving about Katherine Paterson's Jacob Have I Loved. Shortly after I finally read that book, Mrs. Brown asked if I would read The Great Gilly Hopkins, to her class of fifth graders. That was a real joy.

Thus, when I happened upon a book of Christmas tales by Katherine Paterson, I decided to check it out. These 12 Christmas stories were written over the years for her pastor-husband to share in his annual Christmas Eve services. I must admit, the very first story was a bit odd and I put the book down for a while. Still, I generally won't give up on a group of short stories after reading only one.

Eventually, I finished the entire book and would have to choose "The Handmaid of the Lord," as my favorite. This was a tale about a minister's daughter who wished to have a "good" part for the Christmas play. The character is drawn well and the story moves to a clear moment of climax.

Other stories I enjoyed were:
"Exultate Jubilate" about a Scrooge-like man who finds a bit of holiday spirit in unusual circumstances, "Amazing Grace," about a young couple lost in the night and awaiting the birth of their child, and "In the Desert, a Highway," about a scholar and a illiterate watchman in Communist China.

No comments: