Friday, January 16, 2009

Quick Note: MRI Completed

I feel bad that I haven't updated on my ES's health concerns recently. After the pediatric GI took him off of the Reglan, they suggested we get psychotherapy for him. I felt very strongly that this is a physical issue and not a psychological one.

Thus we determined to get a second opinion. On January 2nd, I took him to see a pediatric GI at Riley. I left that appointment with very mixed feelings. For one thing, the doctor did not have a chance to review the previous tests prior to our office visit. This was the first appointment I took ES to. I wondered if my presentation of the difficulties made it sound different than if my husband had presented the medical history.

Also, by this time, we had experienced a relative decline in complaints over the break from school. I think we were wondering already, if some of the difficulties were related to anxiety. Thus, when this second doctor, spoke with us and immediately suggested putting ES on Prozac, I felt the quick stab of "They think this is all just in his head." The doctor's explanation was that, he felt ES originally suffered from an infection which led to a level of anxiety. He suggested that the Prozac med might allow the anxiety issue to subside and also bring relief to the stomach ailments.

I'm no stranger to meds for depression and anxiety, so I probably took this suggestion better than my husband would have. However, even I was wondering what to really make of the weight loss, the stomach pains and the numerous headaches. The doctor did seem concerned enough about the recurring headaches to request an MRI.

For some reason, I dawdled on the arrangements (I think I have still been trying to determine my own take on ES's current health). Finally, today, he had his MRI appointment. He was a tad bit nervous. He did make me chuckle because the thing which concerned him most was his perception of his inability to remain still for 40 minutes. They suggested bringing a CD to listen to and he only felt this would make it worse. He is a drummer. Music (even silence, really) just makes him tap and move. His secondary concern was that they would tell him he had to cut his hair in order to get the MRI (big grin! - if only I had known the technician and could have pulled off that argument)!

As I waited (there was no way he was having his "mommy" go in with him, like he was a baby or something), another woman arrived for an MRI. I overheard her explaining to the receptionist that she was quite anxious. She is, apparently, claustrophobic and was really dreading the prospect of failing a third MRI attempt. If she failed today's MRI, she would have to be sedated for the exam.

I found it all very interesting. Especially, since the book I am currently listening to is entitled, "Poe's Heart and the Mountain Climber: Exploring the Effect of Anxiety on Our Brains and Our Culture" by Richard Restak, MD. If you follow this blog, you know how much I love reading books about the human body and the human brain.

Now, we await news of the MRI results (which, even we are believing will probably be normal) and another appointment with the initial GI. Thankfully, the second doctor encouraged ES to participate in the wrestling season (as long as he is not pursuing weight loss), engage in as many normal activities as possible and continue to avoid taking the bus to school in the morning, if this puts him at ease (this is my biggest complaint, since it is no fun getting ES off to school with two little ones added into the mix and ice and road and freezing temperatures to boot!).

I must admit, mean mother that I am, I forced him to take the bus twice this week. They had a two hour delay, for goodness sakes, and usually by 9:30 a.m., his stomach is beginning to feel better anyway. I'm sure he hated it. He said that both mornings, his damp hair froze in the walk from our door to the door of the bus (which pulls up to our driveway).

If I had to venture a guess, I would say that the new meds are helping. He has eaten lunch at school twice this week. Hopefully, it is, now, just an issue of anxiety and something he can work through with medicine and altered thought processes. Still not sure about the headaches, but hubby wonders if they were caused by the other medicines and by the anxiety. Anyway, may his MRI be AOK!

1 comment:

My Three Sons said...

WEll I'm going to take my two year old to a pyschologist as well to see if his feeding issues are something from his surgeries. So if that is what will help your son, that may do the trick. I'll send positive thoughts your way so the MRI will be great.