Thursday, March 5, 2009

Favorite Things Thursday - Travel Sewing Kit

I'm sure it would be hard to imagine a person feeling sentimental towards a travel sewing kit. It sounds goofy to me even. I'm not a seamstress, by any means. I can patch things, when necessary, but not very well. I did take Home Economics in middle school from the teacher whose name I'll never forget, Ocean Weaver. However, the blue wrap-around skirt I produced from that class is the only piece of clothing I've ever made.

So, what makes my travel sewing kit so special? It was made just for me. I believe it was a gift from my sister-in-law, Becky, for participating in their wedding, back in the summer of 1989. I have used it faithfully, ever since. Proof positive that I use it often? I have lost the small scissors which are usually found in the right hand pocket. (I know that I take this sewing kit with me to CBLI each year. I haven't seen it since then, so perhaps it was misplaced in the travel toiletries or such.) The left hand pocket contains a measuring tape and a seam ripper. The kit doesn't close perfectly anymore, because it is usually chock full of scraps of embroidery thread from various cross-stitching projects. It is definitely a well-loved item.

These photos are, again, horrible, but at least I was able to get them from the camera. I dropped the camera after taking these photos and the lens wouldn't close. I was having dejavu and praying that I wouldn't be camera shopping again so soon. Thankfully, with a bit of fiddling, I was able to get it functioning again. Whew!
Thanks again, Becky! I still love it, twenty years later. (BTW, my brother must still be one of her favorites, 20 years later, because they are expecting their sixth child around the time of their 20th anniversary!)

No comments: