Thursday, March 5, 2009

I-Pod Touch Raffle

If there's one thing I have not ceased hearing about since Christmas, it is the I-Pod Touch. One of ES's friends received one and ES is now convinced that life can only be rich and blessed if he is able to secure one of these for himself. (Am I filing this away in "Arguments for Home Schooling"??) For the record, I am dead-set against it.

Do I really need to explain my sentiments? Remember, this is the same boy who received a camera cell phone for Christmas and then walked onto a frozen pond, nearly killing himself, and absolutely killing his phone. Not to mention, I'm not keen on the idea of his having access to the Internet on a portable instrument away from our sight (believe me, I have enough to supervise already!).

However, wouldn't it just be amazing if I WON an I-Pod Touch, for myself, and then offered to let him borrow it for supervised visitation??? Ha! O.K., I'm not really thinking I'll win this little wager, but I will have to explain the receipt from my entry to my husband. (I've noticed that since I left the "paid" workforce, I tend to spend more money than ever on charitable causes.)

If you want to participate in the festivities, and render my chances even more remote, every $10 donation towards the cause of bringing Jacob home to the Van Nice family will receive one entry for this I-Pod Touch raffle. I learned about this cause from the source of another cause close to my heart. My friend, Renee, at Life With My Special K's, is also in the process of raising the necessary monies to bring home their Down's Syndrome daughter Kellsey from an orphanage in Eastern Europe. She mentioned their fundraiser on her blog and I decided to give it a shot.

These families are especially eager to get their kids home as soon as possible. Two Down Syndrome girls at the orphanages in Eastern Europe died recently from the flu. Please consider participating in these raffle fund-raisers. Now, for information on the raffle to raise money to bring Kellsey home:

Maybe, instead of an I-Pod Touch, you're hoping to win a cruise. We're not really cruise people, so I'm waiting for Kellsey's upcoming silent auction. Remember, even if you don't win (and you have to bear with a life not quite as rich or blessed as the kid next to you - smile), you are making winners of these children who are waiting to join families who can love them, provide for them, and treat their illnesses!

1 comment:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

:) Thanks so much for posting this!