Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Good Game! Good Game!

Back when we lived in DeKalb, my ES participated in AYSO (the American Youth Soccer Organization). We made it a priority to attend every game. Of course, this was easier back then, minus the two little boys. Now, we try for one of us to attend every home wrestling meet, but we miss all the away meets and even some home meets.

I know how important it is for children to have family members rally behind them when they compete in a sport. Personally, I cringe every time I have to go to one of ES's meets. I want so badly for him to do well. I worry so much that he'll get hurt and I'll watch the whole thing go down. I worry about the girl on his team (yes, there's a girl and no, I don't understand for one minute why a parent would want/allow their adolescent daughter to compete in the sport of wrestling). But, it is nice to be able to say, "You did a great job out there!" when you've actually watched him compete. Especially nice, when he pins someone!

Of course, at the end of the meet, each team lines up and does the standard good sportsmanship move, slapping hands and saying, "Good game. Good game." Or are they saying "good meet!"? I'll have to ask ES. I'd think that would be really bad, if your daughter were on the wrestling team and all the guys are slapping her and saying "Good meat meet!"

Tonight, I'm looking for a virtual good sportsmanship line. After putting the kids to bed, I left for the grocery store with a specific list of deals and my coupon wallet. Returning home to the occasional snore, cough and bark of my guys, feels like standing alone in this sport of frugal shopping.

Here is what I purchased:



I paid $29.99 for these 27 items: 1 frozen pizza, 4 bags of pizza rolls, 4 packages of salmon fillets, 1 package of chocolate chip waffles (I think hubby thought the sale would include the Eggo Whole Wheat Waffles. No such luck, but the kids might consider it lucky.), 4 half gallon jugs of milk, 3 packs of yogurt ($1 each after coupons), 1 package of bologna, 3 cans soup, 3 packs of fruit rolls, 2 canteloupe and 1 container of deodorant.

That is a GOOD GAME! Woo-hoo! The receipt itemized my savings as $15.00 in coupon savings (thanks Kroger for doubling coupons which are .50 or less!), and $39.86 in Kroger Plus Card savings, for a total savings of $54.86. However, I must add that I probably reaped even more savings because the pharmacist made an error on my husband's prescription last week. When I went to pick up the corrected prescription, the pharmacist apologized and put $10 worth of savings on my Kroger card (which was removed from tonight's total before the tax). Their error. Score one for me!

Like any serious competitor, I was analyzing my performance on the way home. I think I may have had a coupon for the Right Guard, but I forgot to look for it. Drats! Still, feel free to slap my hand (or leave a comment) and say "Good Game!" since everyone here is snoring through my victory. Hey, you can even say "Good meat!" if you want, since those frozen salmon fillets truly are good, healthy meat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Jumps in the air and gives you a high five) Way to go Wendy! It is awesome to see how much you were able to get, each for just over one dollar.

Do you clip paper coupons as well? We don't get the Sunday paper and occasionally we get some coupons wrapped in plastic and thrown on our door step. It seems there are never coupons for the things I routinely buy.

Wendy Hill said...

CG - Thanks for the Kudos (which I clearly begged for). Yes, I clip paper coupons; however, we have just cancelled the paper (I spent way too much time reading the paper instead of merely clipping the coupons and hubby thinks we can get those from his mom). I used to be a big coupon shopper, but left it behind for about 4 years. These days, living on one part-time income, you have to use coupons.

The coupons wrapped in plastic and left on your door? Sounds mysterious! You have a guardian coupon angel, but she doesn't know what you really purchase!

If you jot down a quick list of things you might like a coupon for, I'd be happy to send any which are items we don't normally purchase. You know how some families are tied to a particular brand of diapers or something.