Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Constructive Use of Spring Break

This is a hunter's perch ES noticed out in the woods last week:


It must have sparked an idea in his mind. This is what ES and a friend have been hard at work on for the first half of their break:

A fort

made of branches and bark, plywood and plastic,


with logs to sit on,

a shelf to store things,

and hooks to hang your coats.



Of course, there's also a canopied fire pit. (Note the plastic bowl behind ES. He demonstrated how they use the bowl to scoop water from the creek and put out the fire. Good idea, pyroson!)

I will try to provide some video of this boy sanctuary when I have more time.

All I can say is, this is truly a boy's paradise! I'm thrilled that he had the idea and the opportunity to implement the idea. So far, the only wildlife they've seen from the fort has been two wandering dogs. The dogs thought the fort and the boys were very cool. So do I!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Your boys ROCK. This is what boys are meant to do! Build forts!

They will grow up and be an unknown quantity someday. An already dying breed.

Real. Men. Who know how to do Man Things.

The girls will be falling all over themselves.

Wendy Hill said...

Wendy - If I had gold stars to give away, like Cardiogirl, you would get one (and not because you were my only commenter!). I love to hear that someone else thinks my boys ROCK!

My MS cracked me up at the dinner table tonight. He said, "If ES built the fort now, when he gets bigger, he might even be a worker or something." I had to laugh. I knew he was trying to say that when ES grows up he might work in construction, but it was too cute.