Thursday, April 2, 2009

Favorite Things Thursday: Favorite Salmon Recipe

I've been trying to improve my diet. Initially, I took this action in the hopes of attempting to beat my depression naturally. I began to supplement Super B Complex vitamins and Omega-3 fish oil capsules. I also have tried to increase my protein intake. My husband and I don't normally eat much in the way of heavy meats. We consume a lot of vegetable meals and sometimes eat chicken or fish. We are not vegetarians. We will occasionally add meatballs to the spaghetti sauce or have a meal with kielbasa (the little boys are big fans of kielbasa). But, since my husband is very careful about what he eats (heart disease runs in his family), we tend to pursue fairly healthy diets.

After we sat down to one of my favorite salmon meals last week, I thought I should certainly write up a post about this recipe. I've found that I don't really care for salmon by itself. Most of the time, when I prepare "Fillets in Foil" (an easy meal where you bake the fish and the veggies all together with a lemon-margarine sauce in a piece of aluminum foil [now, I'm hearing my British friend, Sarah, saying "al-you-min-e-um" and it makes me smile]), I put salmon in my husband's packet and cod or whiting in my own.

According to WikiAnswers.com, you should try to consume two servings of fish per week. I think this recipe is delicious enough that I could eat it twice a week, but I am trying to prepare this recipe at least twice a month for now. Of course, my boys wouldn't come near it with a ten foot pole. In fact, they make quite a stink about the stink, every time I make it. However, I'm not really willing to share with them anyway, so they usually get something different (like fish sticks).

(Sorry, this photo doesn't do justice to the recipe.)

Personally, I think it is the yogurt sauce which makes this dish! I found this recipe for "Salmon Wellington" in a cookbook my mother-in-law passed on to me (Cooking with Friends: A Collection of Hometown Favorites , put out by the Herberger's stores). The original recipe called for a half cup of ripe olives, but I couldn't bring myself to add those. We love the recipe in this format:

Salmon Wellington

(They say it serves 8-10, with the olives! Hubby and I usually polish it off in two or three meals, so I'm guessing it is closer to 5 or six servings.)

10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
16 oz. can salmon, drained, flaked and boned
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
1 tsp. dill weed
2 - 8 oz. cans refrigerated crescent rolls

Yogurt sauce: 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise, 1/2 cup plain no-fat yogurt, 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard

Blend together yogurt sauce ingredients and set aside (I chill it).

In a large bowl, combine spinach, salmon, eggs, parsley and dill weed; set aside.

Press the crescent dough out to create a 9 x 12 rectangle. Spread half the salmon mixture over dough to within 1 inch of the edges. Starting at the longest side, roll up and pinch seam and ends to seal. Place seam down on one side of a prepared baking sheet. Repeat with second can of dough and remaining filling. Cut 2-inch diagonal slashes at 2-inch intervals across the top of dough.

Bake at 350 degrees for 18 to 28 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool slightly. Serve with yogurt sauce.


Unfortunately, my blood tests results from last week are in. I have high cholesterol, so now I will have to cut back on the eggs. I think I'll still try to prepare this twice a month. Perhaps, I'll just reduce it to 2 eggs instead of 3. Believe me, if you need to increase your salmon intake, this is certainly the way to go!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am not a fan o' seafood. And I don't think I could handle the smell either. Would this work out with chicken, perhaps?

And if so, would I use a can of chicken that sort of looks like a can of tuna fish?

Wendy Hill said...

CG - If you try the chicken and it works out, let me know. I think if I tried the chicken, I would substitute low-fat cheese for the eggs.

I did search for Salmon Wellington to see if I could find some better picture than mine, but many of the recipes I saw called for puff pastry, then a slab of salmon, then a slice of cheese, then a spinach layer, rolled up. That sounds like it would work with a canned chicken or even possibly with a boneless chicken breast.

Of course, hubby informed me tonight that the crescent rolls would be off my diet (to lower my cholesterol) urgh! Plus the list they sent me say - Avoid chocolate. Now, how in the world is that possible?