Friday, April 10, 2009

Recipe Retrieved Thanks to the Power of the Internet

I may not have discovered how my Bible and photos vanished from the dashboard of my car, but I did retrieve that long-lost skillet lasagna recipe. It was time-consuming, hard work, but I believe the efforts will be worthwhile.

My mother responded, saying she had checked out the Pillsbury website and located four possible recipes for skillet lasagna. I logged onto Pillsbury.com to check them out. Alas, not one of them even called for biscuits. After lengthy searches entering terms like "biscuit filled skillet lasagna," and "recipes from biscuit wrapper," I still came up empty handed.

Next, I began a tedious (although very tempting) journey through 746 recipes from the Pillsbury Bake-Off competitions. There was a fabulous-sounding recipe for Chocolate Cream Cheese Crescents which I will have to try. I only had time to peruse 25 out of the 75 pages of recipes.

After giving up on the Pillsbury site, I wondered if perhaps the biscuit recipe came from a rival company's wrapper (however, for the life of me, I couldn't remember a rival company). I searched for "biscuit filled skillet lasagna" and finally found this recipe. So, it was a Pillsbury recipe, after all.

Although the photo doesn't look familiar (then again, this was over 20 years ago, and I may have clipped the recipe even earlier than that), it does sound like the recipe I remember. My youngest brother actually reminded me of the recipe back in December when they were planning to come to my house for a family gathering/reunion. I mentioned that I might make up a few pans of lasagna because that is easy enough to whip together and then pop in the oven.

He said, "Oh, I remember coming to your apartment when you were in college and you cooked lasagna for us. It was great." Well, that was the lasagna from the recipe and all I could remember was that it had a meaty mixture on the bottom and was topped with flattened biscuit dough filled with a cottage cheese and shredded cheese mixture.

The reviewers mentioned that it is a kid-pleaser. I will have to test this on my own (who tend to scorn tomatoey recipes ... like my new word?). Sadly, I can't make this regular fare on my plate, because of the high cholesterol content, but a bite or two, now and again, can't hurt. By the way, Mary, your hubby, my kid brother, loves this recipe. Go for it!

Speaking of the power of the Internet, if you stole a Bible from a blue Toyota Corolla and ditched the accompanying photos back in 1987 ... I hope you read the Bible. I hope you got even better use out of it than me. And I bet you loved the recipe, if you tried it.

No comments: