Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Book Review: The Aurora County All-Stars


I have always been a committed correspondent. I love to write letters - especially ones on paper with gel-tipped pens. As a teen, I was known to send out 25 page missives from time to time. I have fantastic memories of the blessings reaped because those friends were willing to correspond with me, willing to pick my brain and then have their brains picked back, so to speak.

Several years ago, I had a clear insight that the best way for me to break into the task of novel writing (since I had already started two or three novels, but couldn't seem to finish them for the life of me), was to follow a format which utilizes letters within the novel. For my research, I began to seek out as many books like that as possible. This is how I came to love the enchanting books of the Klise sisters and also how I found Deborah Wiles.

My first Deborah Wiles book was Love, Ruby Lavender. Oh, how I loved Ruby Lavender! It was a dear, sweet book and I couldn't wait for some opportunity to share it with a classroom full of students during read-aloud time. Alas, I don't think that opportunity ever availed itself.

Then, shortly after my youngest son was born, I listened to Each Little Bird That Sings, during our daily (and lengthy) feeding schedule. Once again, I was mesmerized by Wiles' ability to people a town with interesting characters and life-changing events. I can still remember the emotions being tugged by the words of that novel. The moment I finished it, I had to jot a quick note to teacher-friends, alerting them of another outstanding read-aloud book, especially for students encountering a death in the family.

Now, I have finished this third book (all of which are set in Aurora County, Mississippi) and am subconsciously sending impulsive mental messages to my two younger sons: grow more quickly because I want to read this book aloud to someone! Please!

Although I am not a huge baseball fan, this book was a delight to read. I loved the references to Walt Whitman's poetry, the tender portrayal of a boy missing his deceased mama, the pairing of an elderly man with a young boy (how I wish I could force my eldest son to read to an elderly gentleman like Mr. Norwood Rhinehart Beauregard Boyd!), the inclusion of Ruby and Comfort (characters from the previous books), and the particular voice this author always seems to nail.

In the acknowledgements, I learned that this novel came about as a result of an invitation to write a serial novel. Deborah Wiles studied the Victorian serial novel and patterned the story using those elements. Being a devoted Dickens fan earlier in my life, I can appreciate this! But, I appreciate it all the more because I am in the process of writing my own novel right now. I read with a mindful ear, listening for the cliff-hanger chapter endings and noticing the oaths of secrecy, moral dilemmas and matters of identity. It was no accident that I read this novel while working on my own. It was ... a necessity.

These are excellent stories for kids ages 8 and up. The characters are compelling and they grapple with serious issues. Moreover, the books incorporate great life lessons. In fact, to this day, I use a phrase from Each Little Bird That Sings, whenever my children request something. I often reply with, "I live to serve." Of course, sometimes a hint of sarcasm can be detected, but it is a great life lesson nonetheless! You may also want to visit the website for Deborah Wiles, where you can link to her blog.

No comments: