Monday, November 29, 2021

Book Review: Cat Among the Pigeons

Another spate of bad luck with audio books! Two went by the wayside after investing several discs into the story. It makes me sad, but I don't have time for literature that cannot stay out of the gutter. Thus, I picked up Agatha Christie's book, Cat Among the Pigeons. This clean read held my interest.

All is not well at Meadowbank School for Girls. Teachers keep turning up murdered. In  this mystery, the reader knows from the outset what the perpetrator is after, but doesn't know the identity of the perpetrator. Is it a teacher from within the school or is it an outsider intent upon finding hidden treasure? Hercule Poirot took quite a while to appear on the scene. Nonetheless, he wraps things up, and the mystery comes to a satisfactory conclusion.

I may look into Christie's autobiography. I'm encouraged to learn she experienced the same self-doubt all writers encounter. At her website, I found this quote: "You start into it, inflamed by an idea, full of hope, full indeed of confidence (about the only times in my life when I have been full of confidence).... You then get into difficulties, don't see your way out, and finally manage to accomplish more or less what you first meant to accomplish, though losing confidence all the time. Having finished it, you know that it is absolutely rotten. A couple of months later you wonder whether it may not be all right after all."

No comments: