Monday, November 1, 2021

Book Review: You Are Not Alone (thriller)

Since I recently read another book with this same title (entirely different and written for parents of prodigals), I felt I should identify this title. I wondered if this might be a book I'd have to set aside. I devoured a previous page-turner (An Anonymous Girl) by this writing duo, Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, but worried this one might have inappropriate passages. What a pleasant surprise! Apart from a few (careful, detached) descriptions of some sexual attacks, this book was cleaner than most modern thrillers. The authors even referred to foul words rather than include them (when a young girl heard her mother express curses). The story enticed and held my interest.

When Shay Miller watches a woman fall to her death in front of a subway train, it devastates her. Lonely and disillusioned, she attends the woman's memorial service, hoping to learn more about her. Instead, she meets a few of the woman's glamorous friends. They bend over backwards to be helpful. As they slowly suck her into their sphere, she must decide if they are friend or foe.

With fully believable characters and a fast-moving plot, You Are Not Alone is alluring. I loved Shay's specific affinity for statistics and data. The story kept me guessing throughout. And, as I mentioned, despite covering some dreadful details, it handled such aspects with grace and poise. I'm hoping this writing team continues to churn out psychological thrillers and hoping future ones provide a clean read. 

No comments: