Thursday, January 20, 2022

Book Review: The New Year's Quilt

I thought I'd give another Elm Creek Quilts book a try. The New Year's Quilt is book eleven in the series. It continued with the same characters I encountered in book nine, The Christmas Quilt. I didn't enjoy this book as much as the previous installment, but it covered a similar theme worth repeating: familial estrangement. It provided a clean read and an entertaining accompaniment to my exercise.

Sylvia Bergstrom Compson has just married Andrew Cooper, much to the chagrin of his daughter Amy. As Sylvia works on a quilt to give to Amy, she reminisces over past holidays and family traditions. I loved hearing of a German tradition of watching a popular show (I think it was "Dinner for One."). I may have to look that up some day. Although the book rehashed several identical passages from The Christmas Quilt, it was still an enjoyable read. Now, if I could only get Facebook to STOP filling my feed with quilting posts and images! Reading two books about quilts doesn't make me a quilter.

No comments: