Monday, January 10, 2022

Book Review: The Christmas Quilt

I usually seek series books in order. Chronological treatment is important to me, and I'm frustrated when I unknowingly stumble into a series midway. But I needed an audio book and wanted something related to the holidays. Thus, I took a chance on Jennifer Chiaverini's The Christmas Quilt. It is book eight in a twenty book series. The author's name was familiar, as Chiaverini is the author of Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker (a book I never read, but my old book club considered). I was quite pleased with this read. It delivered the inspirational feelings of Christmas, along with some wisdom about mending fences and fortifying relationships. Thanks to her writing skill and her wholesome content, Chiaverini may become a beloved author for me.

In the Elm Creek Quilts series, we meet Sylvia Bergstrom Compson. Sylvia has one goal on her mind: getting her junior assistant, Sarah, to spend Christmas with her estranged mother. However, Sarah doesn't want Sylvia to spend Christmas alone. Pulling out the holiday finery, they discover a Christmas quilt that brings back a world of Christmas memories for Sylvia. As she relives those earlier days, the reader is swept into the festivities, full of traditions. From the details of tree selection to star placement, each aspect of these holiday traditions lends opportunity for unity and division. In the end, Sylvia contemplates her many blessings and encourages Sarah to count hers as well.

No comments: