Monday, January 17, 2022

Book Review: The Good Sister - Highly Recommend

What a riveting read! My mind has swirled with thoughts of The Good Sister ever since I read the first page. I've mentioned it to my family. I've exclaimed about the intricate plot and story this author weaves. So glad I didn't return this to the library unread as tempted when the due date loomed. I was game for a thriller and loved escaping into the microcosm of these sisters. The title is so apt!

Written from two rival perspectives, this story paints a picture of twin sisters who are as different as night and day. One sister, Fern, struggles with autistic tendencies and challenges. I adored her! It was like reading a female version of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime. Her intriguing perspectives are often laugh-out-loud funny! The other sister, Rose, keeps a diary to process her current relational difficulties with her husband. She also writes about the trauma they experienced growing up with their mother. The story hinges on Rose's deep desire for a baby and Fern's eagerness to make that dream a reality by serving as a surrogate.

I enjoyed contemplating so many aspects of the sibling bond. Plus, I devoured the clues, trying to figure out the truth. The writing is excellent, sweeping the reader in and downstream. The characters are unique and their voices clear. I marvel at how expert authors manage the art of pacing. Each snippet from two perspectives comes in well-timed waves. This will be one of my favorite reads of the year. The story was so engaging that, even though the characters live a lifestyle that departs from my moral compass, I lapped it up anyway. If you want to dissect a well-written novel, you would do well to start with this one. I cannot wait to seek further books by Sally Hepworth!

No comments: