Thursday, August 18, 2022

Book Review: Lucky for Good

My memory can be a dodgy mess. I assumed I had read the first book in this trilogy by Susan Patron (a Newbery Award winner, The Higher Power of Lucky). So I picked up this audio version of the last book in the trilogy. Yet, I cannot find a record of the first book on my blog, and I don't really recall the story line. Perhaps I abandoned that book.

To be honest, this book will NOT be for everyone. Many gave Lucky for Good a five star review. I, too, saw the thoughtful characters facing realistic challenges. I loved the story of moving an old cabin down to the town, which was full of tension and adventure. Who wouldn't root for a young girl, abandoned by her father and basically orphaned by her mother's death? The adoptive mother, Brigitte, is a lovely character. The book explores family ties and recognizes that children have questions and concerns.

All of that is true, and the book taps many truths about life. Yet, I cannot embrace the worldview this book promotes. It is very pluralistic and relativistic. It encourages children to identify God as "the God of all our understandings," an emblem Lucky writes on her family tree. Its message is, "believe what you want." Denying absolute truth, even mocking those who cling to the cross of Christ as the only way to reconciliation with our Creator, this book proclaims that many perspectives can all be followed equally. It is the typical blurring in using the term "higher power." Your higher power is deemed every bit as effective as whatever I choose as my higher power. 

As Lucky struggles with questions about religion and Darwinism, heaven and hell, she lands on society's standard solution - make your own path. I am not saying, "don't read this with your kids." I'm saying, "read this along with your kids, so you can discuss the subtle deception society wants to foist on our children." If my sons had picked up this book, I would have wanted to know that it ridicules my beliefs, nullifies Christ, and treats the Bible as just another book. It even suggests it was, perhaps, written "by God when he was six." Seriously? I cannot review this without warning those who mistake it for a "Christian" book, only to discover it pits science against faith (of course, landing on the impression that these are mutually exclusive, and that science is truth where faith is fiction).

No comments: