Monday, January 30, 2023

Compilation: 7 Books on Raising Boys


Seven! Seven? Can you believe I've only read seven books on raising boys? With a blog called Of Books and Boys, you'd think I would have done more thorough research into the topic of raising boys. Alas, perhaps that is my problem. My library has hundreds of books on raising boys, but I was too busy reading general parenting books and even more busy reading novels. This compilation post was surprising to me. I was sure I had read more than seven books on this important topic. Here is my paltry list from first read to last read:

  1. The Purpose of Boys by Michael Gurian 
  2. Raising Cain by Dan Kindlon and Michael Thompson
  3. Boys Should be Boys by Dr. Meg Meeker
  4. What a Son Needs from His Mom by Cheri Fuller
  5. Raising Boys by Steve Biddulph
  6. Bright Beginnings for Boys by Debby Zambo and William G. Brozo
  7. Things My Son Needs to Know About the World by Fredrik Backman
So, all you boy moms out there - fill me in. What are the best books about parenting boys that you have read? My sons may be almost grown, but perhaps another mom might be looking for more suggestions.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...


While I appreciate advice and ideas in parenting, marriage, and how-to-make-life-better books, the formulas and promises of such books don't guarantee "success." Don't beat yourself up. You read more books about raising sons than I did. We do our best as mothers, and we want the best for our children. When they leave home, we continue to love and pray. We trust God's love for them.

Wendy Hill said...

Gretchen - Yes, indeed! Still praying as I go!