Monday, January 23, 2023

Book Review: Down the Hatch

I snatched up this quick Agatha Raisin mystery by M. C. Beaton when I had only moments to peruse in the library. If I had something of greater interest, I might have set this aside. However, I had already started and vetoed two biography audio books, and so I stuck it out for this one. Not my favorite M. C. Beaton mystery, but entertaining enough. 

I found the main character, Agatha, abrasive. It was hard to like her or care about her well-being, even when pursued by criminals. In a final scene, on the white cliffs of Dover, you wonder whether she is done for and will plunge to her death. While the sleuthing was passable, it wasn't noteworthy. I'm sure there are people who adore the Agatha Raisin books. I liked the location and the accent of the narrator in this audio book. Sadly, not enough to seek another Agatha Raisin book.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I appreciate your reviews! I'm not a mystery buff, but if this crosses my path, I'll let a different book take it's place.