Thursday, February 9, 2023

Book Review: Diana, William, and Harry

Meeting the queen's butler in England back in 1987 (eons ago) and touring the lower rooms of her palace sparked an abiding interest in the royal family. I recently returned to my viewing of The Crown, even though I know it is a fictionalized account of their lives (and often includes garbage). Personally, it infuriated me. While I'm not a Diana-worshipper, I agree with sentiments that she was unfairly treated. To have the man who covenanted to love you forever openly and unashamedly pursue another married woman would be hard enough to live with. Add in the constant pursuit of the paparazzi, seeking images to line their own pockets with wealth. Add in royal jealousy of her popularity with the common people. Moreover, it seems they held her to an unfair standard. She was told to "shut up and do your duty," while her husband was free to ignore his own duties. And now, he sits on the throne with his adulterous partner by his side, and Diana's boys struggle to mend rifts in their mother's absence. If ever there was a morality story showing the cost of sin, it would be this one.

James Patterson tells this story in an absorbing manner. If only it were the fiction it feels like. The subtitle sums up the general sentiment I came away with after listening to this book: The Most Heartbreaking Story of Our Time - Diana's Life as a Princess and a Mother. My heart breaks for Diana and the lonely life she was called to lead. My heart breaks for her young sons, left to carry the tremendous burden of royalty without the support of their devoted mother. It breaks for the British people. They loved and adored Diana. Whatever the cause of her death (paparazzi or other forces), the people connected with her. Once she was gone, that connection between royals and constituents became tenuous. I don't look to Charles to restore that connection. He betrayed his people when he betrayed his betrothed.

The only hope for restored connection, in my eyes, lies with William and Kate. But will Harry support his highly esteemed royal brother, or will he bring him down? Will he lay bare the faults and failures, indeed the humanity, of people held in unrealistic favor? I think that hits the nail on the head. We hold unrealistic expectations. They may be royal, but they are human and, though I point fingers at their human sins, I know I have my own. It is reminiscent of the pressures I experienced as a minister's child, held to a standard and expectations I couldn't fulfill. As a friend reminded me, the other day, "We are all messy, and while we love our families, they can be the hardest to deal with and the messiest." It shouldn't surprise us that these royal families are as messy as our own. If we place anything besides God on a throne, it/they will disappoint. 

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Even though I haven't read the book, I agree with all your comments. There are so many hurts and pain in families and relationships as a result of selfish/sinful choices.