Monday, February 13, 2023

Mid-month Mention - Open Doors World Watch List 2023


For years, my husband has prayerfully and financially supported Brother Andrews' Open Doors Ministry. His heart has long been burdened for those whose faith comes at great cost. It is hard to wrap my mind around the trials and tribulations many have faced, and continue to face, in this world that is so hostile to those who profess belief in Christ's atoning power.

The Open Doors US organization has a page listing the current alarming statistics and providing several videos explaining how we can pray for these endangered Christians. (Even if you don't have time to watch the first 43 minute video, you might watch the second 4 minute one.) A map highlights the top 50 countries where Christians experience persecution and discrimination. When I first encountered this World Watch List, I was in the third week of my Facebook Prayer Project (I draw 8 FB friend names each week and pray 3 times a day, using 3x5 note cards with information on each). In that moment, I determined to add an extra prayer card to my daily routine. With 50 weeks left in the year, I committed to pray for the top 50 countries where Christians endure persecution.

I live on a beautiful, spacious property. My every need (food, friends, shelter, safety) has been met. God has, to this point, spared me the challenge these other believers face. But, I don't lull myself into believing persecution will never come my way. I pray God will continue to be gracious, but I also pray that He will continue to sustain and carry those who demonstrate faith against intense opposition. If you have a moment, visit the Open Doors World Watch List 2023 and say a prayer for those suffering for their faith. 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

- "Our prayers can go where we cannot. There are no borders, no prison walls,

no doors that are closed when we pray." - Brother Andrew

2 comments:

Gretchen said...


Sadly, I take so much for granted. What a life of freedom I've had! (I watched the four minute synopsis countries that persecute Christians.) Thanks for all the information you post.

Wendy Hill said...

Yes, it is convicting. We can still worship God, at this point, in America without enduring much persecution. But, days are coming... Scripture says it and I believe it.