Thursday, February 16, 2023

Book Review: The Littlest Library

Title, premise, cover... all drew me in. Poppy Alexander hits a nerve with book-lovers in her novel, The Littlest Library. I was thrilled when I discovered the Little Free Library movement. My friend, Cheryl, shared her love of books by bringing a Little Free Library to our annual Bible camp. I appreciated that gesture so much!

Did you know there are over 150,000 registered Little Free Library book-sharing boxes in 115 countries world-wide? There's even a Little Free Library World Map. These quaint little boxes allow anyone to bring a book or take a book, a revolving door of literary adventure. This map doesn't reveal any in my town (although there is one, perhaps unregistered, at the local bank), but shows 5 in the town next to me. I think the next time I'm tempted to take books to Half-Price Books, where I receive about a quarter for each book (seriously), I'll run them over to a Little Free Library instead. Especially after reading this book.

Jess Metcalfe is at a cross-roads. Her grandmother passes away and her job at the local library dries up. She stumbles upon a quaint little cottage with a red telephone box in the front garden and, on impulse, moves there. Since the town council holds some authority over the box, she cannot get rid of it. With loads of books left by her grandmother, Jess turns the phone box into the country's littlest library. I would be right there with her, peeking out the window to see who was coming and going and what books they were reading. What an entertaining idea!

This book highlights how the perfect book seems to come into your hand at just the right time. I loved the little old man drawn to romances and the feuding sisters who both love the same book. I enjoyed the title-dropping. (Indeed, I had to inspect every book title shown on the cover inside the phone box.) It was natural to root for Jess and her new place, uniting a small country village. This is an easy, feel-good read, perfect for anyone who adores books and recognizes the magic they hold.

2 comments:

Gretchen said...


Sounds like a book to chase away the dreary winter blahs. I'm adding it to my to-be-read list. A suggestion: Would you add the number of pages for each book that you review? (Sometimes I need short reads)

Wendy Hill said...

Gretchen - Yes, this one would perk up winter blahs. I usually post the page numbers in my quarterly review (title, one sentence summary, page count or listening length, and thumbs-up ranking). This one is a middling-sized book at 318 pages. The pages do fly by, though. Hope you enjoy it!