Monday, May 8, 2023

Book Review: Not My Daughter

Although I've seen books by Barbara Delinsky, my gut feeling said I'd never read one. Then, I re-checked my blog and discovered a review for her book, Escape, in 2012. As it wasn't an outstanding pull, I'm not surprised to have gone 11 years without dipping a toe in a Delinsky book again. Plus, I think the lure of this book was two-fold. One, it was an available audio book when my treadmill time required one. And two, Cassandra Campbell, whose voice I've enjoyed before, narrated it. So, I took a gamble on Not My Daughter.

This novel explores what it takes to be a good mother. I regret relating so strongly to this book. Alas, I fall in the camp of parents with children who follow unapproved paths. They banished Susan Tate when she became pregnant at 17. But now she's 35 and the principal of the local high school. She has done well for herself and her daughter Lily, fighting for independence and achievement every step of the way. You would think that she, of all people, would know how to respond when Lily drops the bombshell that she is pregnant. Certainly better than her own parents responded to her pregnancy. But Lily's pregnancy isn't the only plate spinning. Alas, talk swirls about a pact and more mothers are on the community chopping block for not keeping their daughters under lock and key. Susan, as principal, bears the brunt of the town's displeasure.

Judgment. Condemnation. Questions of parental ability. It all hit very close to home. Indeed, I've walked a mile in those shoes. Lessons in perspective. Examples of good and bad reactions. Strained relationships healed by weathering the tragedy. I have walked there, as well. This tale swept me in and I felt the stings and blows. I kept expecting a more sinister explanation behind the pact, but that never materialized. Perhaps my imagination ran away with me. Regardless, it was full of tension and intrigue. I still won't seek another book by this author, but this story was well told and emotionally stirring.

Content Caution: 📒 - sex

No comments: