Monday, June 12, 2023

Book Review: Anxious for Nothing


I love the resources available in the library of a mega-church close to me. In returning my borrowed Pilgrim's Progress books, I skimmed the shelves of audio books on prayer and found this book nestled nearby. In Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World, Max Lucado dissects the comforting verses in Philippians 4:4-8:


Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice.

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (KJV)

One thing I've been doing in my prayer project is selecting a verse or verses to pray over each individual at the end of my prayer time. One friend recently lost her husband suddenly. I had already selected a few from this very passage to pray for her. Even without my prayer, she embodies these words. Nonetheless, I asked God to give her strength to continue to do so, giving all her anxiety to God.

I've been in a perfect storm or two of my own. I know the tendency to head straight for anxiety instead of straight for the Lord. Lucado provides an encouraging pep talk. He gives examples of people who have placed their trust in God, regardless of the storms. Knowing He is sovereign and in control, we can rest in the assurance that our focus on His good gifts will lead our anxious heart out of the waters of despair.

No comments: